Thursday, February 16, 2012

First visit finished!

We had our first home study visit today and it went well! As part of the application, we had to fill out a 20 page questionnaire about ourselves. All of the questions today were based on what we had said. As soon as I realized that I was quickly trying to rethink what I had answered and how that was going to come back at me! One example was the question "How often do you argue?". Nate checked the box "once or twice a year"! I had to explain to the social worker he misread the question and thought it was asking how often he wins arguments!:) I couldn't give him too hard a time though, because I forgot to even answer that question!

This process is so interesting. You want to present yourselves in a positive light without looking like you're trying too hard. I want to be open and honest without sounding like I'm rambling or don't know when to stop talking. I want to emphasize the values that we have, without sounding like I'm judging someone without those values. I'm already rethinking everything I said and how someone else might have heard it...maybe I should have explained it more or said it differently. Lucky for us, we have two more interviews coming up! Next week we meet with our social worker individually for about an hour each. The following week we have the final interview back at our house.

As some of you know, keeping my carpet clean is very important to me. We've had our new carpet for 2.5 years and I would like to brag that I had not spilled anything on it during that time. My dear sister may have spilled melted deodorant on it after a hot day at the pool, but I do still love her...only because it didn't leave a stain. So last night I was frantically cleaning my house and trying to get everything looking great. I decided to light a candle to get it smelling great too. I changed my mind about the candle fragrance shortly after I lit it. Because "Autumn Fruit" smells more like a good home for a new baby than "Cranberry Chutney" does, right? As I was changing out my candles, I spilled red wax on my tan carpet. My tan carpet that has never been spilled on before. You have no idea how sad I was. I used the hot iron and paper trick to get the wax out, but the red dye was staying put. And of ALL the rooms I cleaned in my house, do you know the ONLY place in the house the social worker was? The couch RIGHT NEXT to my newly stained carpet. Ironic, isn't it?

My carpet is no longer stain-free...bring on the kids.

Heather

2 comments:

  1. That is exciting about your first visit! Try your norwex rag on your carpet - that thing got rid of a stain in my carpet that was there for 2 years! Thanks to mom :) Thanks for keeping us updated!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insanity! God sure does have a sense of humor. LOVE the memory of you ALWAYS vaccuming at Dordt! :) - Chels

    ReplyDelete